"Cows are my passion. What I have ever sighed for has been to retreat to a farm and live entirely surrounded by cows–and china." Charles Dickens

February 16, 2011

Are you ready for Spring?

© Mary Engelbreit
I certainly am! It's not that I don't mind winter any more, I'm just tired of it. And ready for new things: like getting the gardens ready, buying spring plants, starting some seedlings, ordering new chicks (although I hope some will be broody and raise their own), washing and air-drying quilts and putting them on the clothesline. Finishing my cottage-setting-up! I'm also starting to get a little inkling of "kicky legs," as my friend Edie calls them: when you get restless and want to be out and about. The cave bear is emerging.

Our ten-day forecast only has the upper 40s as a low: otherwise it's mid-50s or even 60s! Perfect, on non-rainy days, to be out working the earth, feeling the warm sunshine. It's time. We turned off the heat today in the cottage: no more worries about frozen pipes. I also turned the heat off in the doublewide and am hopeful that the warmer days will sustain us at night, too, with just occasional heat when necessary. Electric heat has quadrupled in Kentucky since we moved here three years ago! Fortunately, we have about four months a year where neither heat or air-conditioning is needed here.

Red bud and Green River Knob, just over the line from us in Casey County.


They say that God is everywhere, 
and yet we always think of Him as somewhat of a recluse.
~ Emily Dickinson

Soon birds will be nesting again, bulbs will be popping (I saw the very tips of some daffodils poking out by the chicken house this morning), and the brown, dull landscape will give way to spring's glories! As much as I've come to embrace and welcome each season, there is no time like spring time. It is truly a time of resurrection and new birth and a reaffirming time that the Earth is a forgiving, and rewarding, place to live.

I'm glad that Easter is late this year, too––in fact, I don't recall when it has ever been this late (April 24) in my memory. It will make the spring season seem even longer to celebrate Easter at the end of April. The month will also be shared with our youngest child's 11th birthday, two days after Easter, and our daughter's homecoming, like Persephone, at the end of a long winter ski season in New England. Yes, spring will be even sweeter with all of my chickens home to roost.

Our former garden room in our old New England barn––also known as "the herb room."

You come back when you're ready!
Catherine

2 comments:

  1. To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring. ~George Santayana


    Joberta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so ready for Spring but then I received a rude reminder when I turned on the blow dryer this morning. Something flew out. I jumped and then looked around. There was a spider with a mangled leg on the floor. He must of heard the weatherman say it was going to be in the 70's today. (It is 75 right now)

    But yes, I am ready for Spring. Just not the critters that come with it!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm! I hope you feel free to comment and share here. I will respond as often as I can.