"Cows are my passion. What I have ever sighed for has been to retreat to a farm and live entirely surrounded by cows–and china." Charles Dickens

August 16, 2011

What Makes It Cottage: Random Flowers

A painted magazine or sewing caddy, c. 1930s, was a great find in a shop. 
My English porcelain flower collection is inspired by
admiring them on night stands at my grandmother's house in Ohio.
A painted medallion
on our guest room beds,
once my grandparents'.

A breakfast-in-bed set that my father gave me long ago (it was his grandmother's).
It includes a plate, bowl, lid/cover, small plate, coffee pot, milk pitcher and egg cup.
  
The cover to the porridge dish.
A coffee or teapot for one.


Another antique shop find: a cake tin, with geraniums on top.
  
The first African violets
that have thrived in my care––
A gift from a friend this spring
in a green McCoy pot.
A print of a morning glory from our old house.

I've had this painted bottle of violet perfume forever––it came from England.
I just purchased these painted vanity jars in Ohio as they reminded me of
the jars, with floral motifs, that my grandmother used to have in Ohio.
I was also delighted to find the label from The Halle Bros. on the bottom of one!
[I know that she shopped at this former Ohio dept. store for housewares and linens.]


 
A c. 1930s painted laundry hamper, also has
a matching wastebasket and tissue holder.
These came from my grandparents' Ohio house.


A gift from my father many years ago:
a small yellow ware cookie jar,
possibly made by Robinson Clay Products,
once a family company in Akron, Ohio.
A recent pitcher purchase, probably
from an Ohio pottery, c. mid-20th century.
In mint condition, it was under $30–
the kind of find that makes the hunt worthwhile!


I love my spice grinder with its floral decal, picked up for less than $10.
 
An unused nasturtium tinware match holder.
The price still on it!
[This was an eBay find.]
A nasturtium bread box in the same pattern (I also have canisters),
from a flea  market. I'm guessing this pattern is from the 1940s: it also came in yellow.

A sampler that was given to me by
the former owner of the cottage. It hangs
in my laundry room and I just love it.
A morning glory tin canister holds soap.


Two of the many pitchers in my pitcher collection, all from Ohio potteries,  early-mid 20th century.


Old novels with flowers in the title are fun and decorative.




A German dessert plate with jonquils
from my husband's family.
You come back when you're ready! 

Catherine

We left the floral wallpaper in the parlor
from the former owner's tenure.






1 comment:

  1. I had the nasturtium cannisters for years in our kitchen...never used...picked them up for 10 cents at a garage sale and sold them at mine for $15.00.
    I can remember when every kitchen had one of those matchbox holders.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm! I hope you feel free to comment and share here. I will respond as often as I can.