"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey...
And we pray, not for new earth or heaven, but to be quiet in heart, and in eye clear. What we need is here." ~ Wendell Berry

August 16, 2011

What Makes It Cottage: Random Flowers

A painted magazine or sewing caddy, c. 1930s, was a great find in a shop. 
My English porcelain flower collection is inspired by
admiring them on night stands at my grandmother's house in Ohio.
A painted medallion
on our guest room beds,
once my grandparents'.

A breakfast-in-bed set that my father gave me long ago (it was his grandmother's).
It includes a plate, bowl, lid/cover, small plate, coffee pot, milk pitcher and egg cup.
  
The cover to the porridge dish.
A coffee or teapot for one.


Another antique shop find: a cake tin, with geraniums on top.
  
The first African violets
that have thrived in my care––
A gift from a friend this spring
in a green McCoy pot.
A print of a morning glory from our old house.

I've had this painted bottle of violet perfume forever––it came from England.
I just purchased these painted vanity jars in Ohio as they reminded me of
the jars, with floral motifs, that my grandmother used to have in Ohio.
I was also delighted to find the label from The Halle Bros. on the bottom of one!
[I know that she shopped at this former Ohio dept. store for housewares and linens.]


 
A c. 1930s painted laundry hamper, also has
a matching wastebasket and tissue holder.
These came from my grandparents' Ohio house.


A gift from my father many years ago:
a small yellow ware cookie jar,
possibly made by Robinson Clay Products,
once a family company in Akron, Ohio.
A recent pitcher purchase, probably
from an Ohio pottery, c. mid-20th century.
In mint condition, it was under $30–
the kind of find that makes the hunt worthwhile!


I love my spice grinder with its floral decal, picked up for less than $10.
 
An unused nasturtium tinware match holder.
The price still on it!
[This was an eBay find.]
A nasturtium bread box in the same pattern (I also have canisters),
from a flea  market. I'm guessing this pattern is from the 1940s: it also came in yellow.

A sampler that was given to me by
the former owner of the cottage. It hangs
in my laundry room and I just love it.
A morning glory tin canister holds soap.


Two of the many pitchers in my pitcher collection, all from Ohio potteries,  early-mid 20th century.


Old novels with flowers in the title are fun and decorative.




A German dessert plate with jonquils
from my husband's family.
You come back when you're ready! 

Catherine

We left the floral wallpaper in the parlor
from the former owner's tenure.






1 comment:

  1. I had the nasturtium cannisters for years in our kitchen...never used...picked them up for 10 cents at a garage sale and sold them at mine for $15.00.
    I can remember when every kitchen had one of those matchbox holders.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm! I hope you feel free to comment and share here. I will respond as often as I can.