"Cows are my passion. What I have ever sighed for has been to retreat to a farm and live entirely surrounded by cows–and china." Charles Dickens

August 2, 2011

A Sunflower Trail

Sunflowers along the roadside growing in an
Old Order Mennonite vegetable garden in nearby Casey County.

'The new country lay open before me: there were no fences in those days, and I could choose my own way over the grass uplands, trusting the pony to get me home again. Sometimes I followed the sunflower-bordered roads. Fuchs told me that the sunflowers were introduced into that country by the Mormons; that at the time of the persecution when they left Missouri and struck out into the wilderness to find a place where they could worship God in their own way, the members of the first exploring party, crossing the plains to Utah, scattered sunflower seeds as they went. The next summer, when the long trains of wagons came through, with all the women and children, they had a sunflower trail to follow. I believe that botanists do not confirm Jake's story but, insist that the sunflower was native to those plains. Nevertheless, that legend has stuck in my mind, and sunflower-bordered roads always seem to me the roads to freedom.'

~ Willa Cather, My Ántonia (1918) 


You come back when you're ready!

Catherine

2 comments:

  1. I love sunflowers. They always make me feel cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We planted sunflowers to brighten up our one row of veggies along the side of the house. It's such a welcoming sight! Now if only I'd pull out all the weeds...sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm! I hope you feel free to comment and share here. I will respond as often as I can.