"Cows are my passion. What I have ever sighed for has been to retreat to a farm and live entirely surrounded by cows–and china." Charles Dickens

January 29, 2011

Wintering

"Who could tire of the long shadows, the long shadows of the trees on snow?" ~ May Sarton

Woman Knitting by Françoise DuParc

Woman Sitting Near Fireplace by Vincent Van Gogh.


Winter is for women...
The woman, still at her knitting,
At the cradle of black Spanish walnut,
Her body a bulb in the cold and too dumb to think. ~ Sylvia Plath, Wintering

I still have our mantel decorated with winter-themed Christmas items, like my snowmen collection....

...and this cozy, well-lit, country cabin...

...and German-made trees and wooden forest people.

This snow girl on skis...
...reminds me of my daughter who works and skis at Mount Snow (and sometimes models for them, too). She loves the winter, as I do, but for different reasons.
I will take my winter mantel down in early March, when I will add the signs and symbols of spring and new life. Though February days will be warmer and lighter and brighter, it is still winter, after all.
You come back when you're ready! 

Catherine

1 comment:

  1. Your decorations are so clever. I get so sick of the same old tinsel and balls and candlesticks. Show some ingenuity, damn it, unless the kids in the house just want to stick to the old things.

    Joberta

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm! I hope you feel free to comment and share here. I will respond as often as I can.