"Cows are my passion. What I have ever sighed for has been to retreat to a farm and live entirely surrounded by cows–and china." Charles Dickens

April 9, 2017

Palm Sunday

Last night, in the wee hours, I got up as I often do when the air changes or the moon is full. I had not realized it was waxing until I saw it setting in the west around 6 am, in the same exact place over the cattle sorting building, where the sun now sets more than 12 hours later at this time of year. Realizing it was Sunday morning, I went back to sleep for a blissful lie-in. I've had off and on vertigo this past month and find that sleep helps.


As it happens, the moon will be full in two more days on April 11th, Tuesday--so it is now a waxing gibbous moon and hard to detect by the eye. If you garden by the moon phases, this is the perfect time to plant above ground crops and I hope to get my broccoli plants and peas in tomorrow or Tuesday. The week ahead looks lovely and in the 70s with cool nights, but no frost–maybe one day of rain on Wednesday. Great time for catching up on garden stuff that I failed to do last fall!


Tonight Temple and I went out to the pasture behind the cattle sorting building to call the cows in for a bit of grain and mineral supplement. The cows are mostly pastured but we give them a bit of supplemental feed–more like a snack–every few days.






He hadn't called the cows in for a long time and when the cows are used to it, they come charging down to the grain trough. When you call a cow you say, "Come Boss!" and they generally come running. Today it took them a while and by the time I was back at the house they had arrived and it was too dark to photograph them. We have a much smaller herd right now that we are rebuilding in the next few years.

The sunsets have been beautiful lately, a bit past 7:30pm. By June the sun will set right over the small winding road that passes our farm (more of a lane, really), but right now it sets over the sorting building.



You come back when you're ready!

Catherine

6 comments:

  1. Oh Catherine, your lovely post lowered my blood pressure & calmed me down! What a gift you give to others with your wonderful photos & prose. Not as 'Springy' up here yet but the grass is turning green & something's in the air as the neighbor's rooster is crowing day & night! I love it! Enjoy your wonderful life~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Debbie. You are so kind and I appreciate the encouragement, especially today (see my next post about to be written!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. For instance, if the site from which you secured the advance did not plainly show the APR offered, at that point your advance may have been mis-sold to you and could be unenforceable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The intrigue endless supply of the credit is frequently higher than with a customary advance, so these advance administrations should just be utilized as a part of instance of crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Secured advances are the point at which a moneylender commonly gives the borrower stores or monies in return for the title of a property.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cabs2go cab Rental from Mumbai to Shirdi and get best Best Deals on your cab booking. Hire taxi for full day from Mumbai to Shirdi. Taxi Rental services available for all types of cab

    mumbai to shirdi cab

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm! I hope you feel free to comment and share here. I will respond as often as I can.