"Cows are my passion. What I have ever sighed for has been to retreat to a farm and live entirely surrounded by cows–and china." Charles Dickens

October 21, 2011

October Morning

One of my favorite views on our farm–which is why we named it "Valley View."
We've had two days of needed rain: cold and damp and drizzly. Perfect hunkering-in fall weather–some of my favorite time of the year if not too prolonged. Almost everyone I know has been making chili or soup these past two days. We picked our daughter up, right on time with no delays despite the weather in the northeast, also, in Nashville on Tuesday (thank you Southwest for her safe delivery!).

I woke up Addie early this morning
to the sound of peeping chicks.
Now, on the back side of the weather system, is the lovely cool and crisp air of autumn. We had tinges of frost last night but nothing major yet (one of the advantages to ridge living). I drove off early to the post office to collect our Speckled Sussex chicks who also arrived safe and sound, with one extra (thank you Welp Hatchery!).


The chicks are all situated under a cozy heat lamp in the chicken house and will begin to lay eggs by early spring. The mixed batch of 26 will hopefully be at least half hen (the roosters will be fattened for the freezer). Meanwhile, my ten remaining hens, now 2.5 years old, are molting and taking a bit of a rest from egg-laying. We'll see how they do with egg-laying in the spring, otherwise I might have to be making some decisions as to their life expectancy. I am getting tougher.

A deer on the ridge turned when I said, "Hi Gertie!" but it wasn't and he ran off again.

Tomorrow we will be having Aunt Cynthia's burial at a small and lovely Catholic cemetery in western Casey County. She passed in June and I will write more about her soon. She would have loved this weather, too.

I am so content with my children altogether again, a puffed-up broody hen if I do say so, even if for a short time. With their span of ages–23, 13 and 11–they are at two different ends of the spectrum. In the past few years I have learned to appreciate those different stages and go with it, while enjoying all of the various colors and nuances, and moments, along the way.

You come back when you're ready!

Catherine

2 comments:

  1. I too have a stretched out family. 31, 30, 23 and 21. As they age they get closer and I get all puffed up about that too. Love the spider picture !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The view of your farm is just fabulous! Have you ever wondered what it would be like to design jewelry and do a beautiful enameled brooch using this spectacular spider as inspiration?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm! I hope you feel free to comment and share here. I will respond as often as I can.