"Cows are my passion. What I have ever sighed for has been to retreat to a farm and live entirely surrounded by cows–and china." Charles Dickens

April 6, 2011

Calves

Eli with Charlotte, left, and newborn Wilbur (or "Rowdy" as Henry wants to call him).
Note the size difference: Charlotte is three weeks old; Wilbur is 12 hours old.
I asked that we keep Charlotte all of her life––I've bonded as we have to bottle feed her several times a day [and it helps my case that she is a female Angus cow]. She had scours so needed to be separated from her mother. Her mother rejected her when she was returned so she is now on the bottle.
Wilber/Rowdy was born during a stormy night on Monday. Sadly, his mother did not make it after a difficult birth––hopefully Wilbur has a chance. He is the first offspring of our Hereford bull, Woodrow. We've realized the hard way that Hereford bulls and Angus heifers produce very large calves that are not easy for the mother to deliver. So Woodrow, and his brother Taurus, will be going to other pastures.

You come back when you're ready!

Catherine

2 comments:

  1. Invest in an Angus bull that throws low birth-weight calves.

    These babies are precious. They will be big pets very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte looks just like my bottle-baby Doe-dle Doe.

    They are so sweet! You're definitely going to fall in love with them.

    Sorry to hear about losing W/R's mama! They'll break your heart too.
    <3

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm! I hope you feel free to comment and share here. I will respond as often as I can.